A Complete Fith Grade Language Arts Curriculum
Everything you need for a fun and successful year of third grade language arts!
1. Literature and Writing: Level 2 Year Pack “B”
This collection represents a range of genres and six student journals: Because of Winn-Dixie, Ben and Me, Farmer Boy, Macaroni Boy, The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs, Twenty and Ten. Each of the six units are designed to develop increased student competency in reading and to develop voice and writing skills over time.
2. Literature and Writing: Teacher Helps
Our 35 page Teacher Helps will give you all the guidance you need for success.
3. One True Sentence “C1” – Tools of Style #1
An excellent opportunity, over 20 weeks, for elementary students to construct sentences learning and using tools of style. When well-crafted sentences are connected wisely, one after another, meaning flows, carrying that idea forward in a clear and concise manner. A collection of creative tools to help upper elementary and middle school students construct sentences using rhetorical techniques that make sentences exceptional.
4. Operation Lexicon – Ted Hughes
A lexicon is the collected vocabulary of a person. Over the course of 26 weeks, students will explore a cluster of words from the lexicon of Ted Hughes. Using these words in an original way, will help the budding wordsmith recognize the plasticity of language and delight in its beauty.
5. Research Discovery: Significant People from History “C”
John Muir, Buffalo Bill, George Washington Carver, Rosa Parks – Each unit, over the course of four weeks, guides students into the process of gathering facts and composing a biographical essay.
6. Hot Fudge Monday
Perfect to review and hone skills, or an excellent introduction. Hot Fudge Monday joins the study of words to the process of writing those words into meaningful sentences. The workbook consists of eight chapters, each one dealing with one part of speech.
7. A Sentence a Day
A Sentence a Day offers daily practice proofreading and editing a singular playful sentence. Practicing the art of correcting 200 incorrect sentences over time reinforces skills that build strong writers.
Schedule / Pacing
Daily: Your students will be paced through varied activities of reading, note-taking, journaling, research, and writing.
- Each week the student will complete one section of reading and journaling, completing a book in four weeks.
- Every fifth week, students create a culminating project connected to the unit.
- Once a week the student will engage in creative writing (Storymaker), and engage in research writing.
- Level 2 Year Pack “B”: Students will read 6 grade appropriate chapter books across genres, journal through each story, developing close reading note-taking skills along the way. They will acquire vocabulary and practice its application. They will compose hundreds of sentences as they reflect on the plot of great stories. And they will compose 24 expanded paragraphs across many writing domains—introspective, expository, observational, persuasive, and many more.
- Storymaker: students will be supported to create an imaginative story each week while practicing the art of composing an opening sentence that hooks the reader.
- Research People: students will research, journal and craft 4 original biographical essays.
- Students will complete work that fulfills literary learning standards.
A word about grade levels and learning styles
All of Blackbird and Company curricular materials are designed with the student and teacher in mind. Whether you are in a traditional classroom or a homeschool, if you are in independent study or if you need accommodations for unique learning styles or special needs, our materials are adaptable to individual needs, to your teaching style, and to your student’s learning style.
Note: Your items may differ slightly from the images shown.
Please contact us if you need individual guides for additional students.