A Complete Sixth Grade Language Arts Curriculum
Everything you need for a fun and successful year of sixth grade language arts!
1. Literature and Writing: Level 3 Year Pack “A”
This collection represents a range of genres and six student journals: The Captain’s Dog, Eight Cousins, The Liberation of Gabriel King, Pictures of Hollis Woods, Stowaway, The Westing Game. Each of the six units are designed to develop increased student competency in reading and to develop voice and writing skills over time.
2. Literature and Writing: Teacher Helps
Our 35 page Teacher Helps will give you all the guidance you need for success.
3. One True Sentence “C2” – Tools of Style #2
An excellent opportunity, over 20 weeks, for elementary students to construct sentences learning and using tools of style. When well-crafted sentences are connected wisely, one after another, meaning flows, carrying that idea forward in a clear and concise manner. A collection of creative tools to help upper elementary and middle school students construct sentences using rhetorical techniques that make sentences exceptional.
4. Operation Lexicon – E.B. White
A lexicon is the collected vocabulary of a person. Over the course of 26 weeks, students will explore a cluster of words from the lexicon of E.B. White. Using these words in an original way, will help the budding wordsmith recognize the plasticity of language and delight in its beauty.
5. Intro to Composition Vol. 1
This volume introduces the student to essay form and stylistic techniques. Includes 5 lessons to be completed over ten weeks time, designed to mentor the student in the art of essay writing.
6. Exploring Poetry
Over the course of seven weeks students will be introduced to some of the basic techniques used by poets, explore excellent poetry, and practice writing original poems. Each section is designed to be completed in about two, one hour sittings.
7. Research Discovery: Significant People from History “D”
- Mahatma Gandhi
- Katherine Johnson
- Jacques Cousteau
- Neil Armstrong
Each unit, over the course of four weeks, guides students into the process of gathering facts and composing a biographical essay.
8. Hot Fudge Monday
Perfect to review and hone skills, or an excellent introduction. Hot Fudge Monday joins the study of words to the process of writing those words into meaningful sentences. The workbook consists of eight chapters, each one dealing with one part of speech.
9. A Sentence a Day
A Sentence a Day offers daily practice proofreading and editing a singular playful sentence. Practicing the art of correcting 200 incorrect sentences over time reinforces skills that build strong writers.
Schedule / Pacing
Daily: Your students will be paced through varied activities of reading, note-taking, journaling, research, and writing.
- Each week students will complete one section of reading and journaling, completing a book in four weeks. Every fifth week, students create a culminating project connected to the unit.
- Students will engage vocabulary development 3 times a week (Operation Lexicon).
- Daily constructive grammar and style (One True Sentence)
- An introduction to essay writing and poetry
- Engage in research writing paces over time (Research People).
- Level 3 Year Pack A: students will read 6 grade appropriate chapter books across genres, journal through each story, developing close reading note-taking skills along the way. They will acquire vocabulary and practice its application. They will compose hundreds of sentences as they reflect on the plot of great stories. And they will compose 24 expanded paragraphs across many writing domains—introspective, expository, observational, persuasive, and more.
- Introduction to Composition: The Essay: introduces the student to essay form and stylistic techniques. Volume 1 includes 5 lessons to be completed over ten weeks time, designed to mentor the student in the art of essay writing.
- Exploring Poetry: Over the course of seven weeks you will be introduced to some of the basic techniques used by poets, explore excellent poetry, and practice writing original poems.
- Research People: students will research, journal and craft 4 original biographical essays.
- One True Sentence and Operation Lexicon: provide activities and practice to build vocabulary and strengthen grammar usage and writing style.
A word about grade levels and learning styles
All of Blackbird and Company curricular materials are designed with the student and teacher in mind. Whether you are in a traditional classroom or a homeschool, if you are in independent study or if you need accommodations for unique learning styles or special needs, our materials are adaptable to individual needs, to your teaching style, and to your student’s learning style.
Note: Your items may differ slightly from the images shown.
Please contact us if you need individual guides for additional students.