A Complete Second Grade Language Arts Curriculum
Everything you need for a fun and successful year of second grade language arts!
1. Earlybird Year Pack “A”
Earlybird Year Pack “A” includes Fall thematic unit, Winter thematic unit, Leo Lionni Author unit, and Robert McCloskey Author unit. This combination equals 20 picture books and 4 student journals.
2. Calendar of Days Journal
This is a journal to record a student’s observations of each school day. They will explore weather, seasons, months, and weeks, creating a sense of anticipation for each day. This bundle includes the journal, a calendar white board, dry erase markers, and two related picture books.
3. Storymaker “A” – Farm Stories
This bundle provides weekly creative writing activities. Students will practice constructing imaginative ideas within a structure.
Schedule / Pacing
- Calendar of Days Journal: Each daily activity is scaffolded.
- Earlybird Activities: Each day your student will be directed into specific tasks that will pace the week’s activities. In the helps section of each Earlybird guide, is a suggested schedule.
- Storymaker: This workbook is scheduled once a week.
- Calendar of Days: Five observational entries, plus a narrative journal of the student’s favorite day.
- Earlybird: Close reading of one picture book, plus connected journal activities.
- Storymaker: One completed story per week.
Yearly: Over the course of the year, students will explore twenty picture books, explore character traits and vocabulary, write through the plot, craft a journal connected to the stories read, and create four culminating creative projects. Students will complete work that fulfills literary learning standards.
A word about grade levels and learning styles
All of Blackbird and Company curricular materials are designed with the student and teacher in mind. Whether you are in a traditional classroom or a homeschool, if you are in independent study or if you need accommodations for unique learning styles or special needs, our materials are adaptable to individual needs, to your teaching style, and to your student’s learning style.
Note: Your items may differ slightly from the images shown.
Please contact us if you need individual guides for additional students.