A Complete Third Grade Language Arts Curriculum
Everything you need for a fun and successful year of third grade language arts!
1. Literature and Writing: Level 1 Year Pack “A”
This collection represents a range of genres and six student journals: The Bears on Hemlock Mountain, Donavan’s Word Jar, Flat Stanley, The Matchlock Gun, Sarah, Plain and Tall, Tornado. Each of the six units are designed to develop increased student competency in reading and to develop voice and writing skills over time.
Teacher Helps – Whether your students are using Level 1, 2, or 3 Literature Guides, our 35 page manual will give you all the guidance you need for success.
2. Storymaker “B” Fairy Tales
This bundle provides weekly creative writing activities. Students will practice constructing imaginative ideas within a structure.
3. Research Discovery: Significant People from History “A”
Leif the Lucky, Columbus, Pocahontas – Each unit, over the course of four weeks, guides students into the process of gathering facts and composing a biographical essay.
Schedule / Pacing
Daily: Your students will be paced through varied activities of reading, note-taking, journaling, research, and writing.
- Each week the student will complete one section of reading and journaling, completing a book in four weeks.
- Every fifth week, students create a culminating project connected to the unit.
- Once a week the student will engage in creative writing (Storymaker), and engage in research writing.
- Level 1 Year Pack “A”: Students will read 6 grade appropriate chapter books across genres, journal through each story, developing close reading note-taking skills along the way. They will acquire vocabulary and practice its application. They will compose hundreds of sentences as they reflect on the plot of great stories. And they will compose 24 expanded paragraphs across many writing domains—introspective, expository, observational, persuasive, and many more.
- Storymaker: students will be supported to create an imaginative story each week while practicing the art of composing an opening sentence that hooks the reader.
- Research People: students will research, journal and craft 4 original biographical essays.
- Students will complete work that fulfills literary learning standards.
A word about grade levels and learning styles
All of Blackbird and Company curricular materials are designed with the student and teacher in mind. Whether you are in a traditional classroom or a homeschool, if you are in independent study or if you need accommodations for unique learning styles or special needs, our materials are adaptable to individual needs, to your teaching style, and to your student’s learning style.
Note: Your items may differ slightly from the images shown.
Please contact us if you need individual guides for additional students.