A Complete Eigth Grade Language Arts Curriculum
Everything you need for a fun and successful year of eighth grade language arts!
1. Literature and Writing: Level 3 Year Pack “E”
This collection represents a range of genres and six student journals:
- The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind
- The Bridge to Terabithia
- The Cay
- A Million Shades of Gray
- A Wrinkle in Time
Each of the six units is designed to develop increased student competency in reading and to develop voice and writing skills over time.
2. Literature and Writing: Teacher Helps
Our 35 page Teacher Helps will give you all the guidance you need for success.
2. One True Sentence “C4”: Tools of Style #4
An excellent opportunity, over 20 weeks, for elementary students to construct sentences learning and using tools of style. When well-crafted sentences are connected wisely, one after another, meaning flows, carrying that idea forward in a clear and concise manner. A collection of creative tools to help upper elementary and middle school students construct sentences using rhetorical techniques that make sentences exceptional.
3. Operation Lexicon 8: The Inklings
A lexicon is the collected vocabulary of a person. Over the course of 26 weeks, students will explore a cluster of words from the lexicon of The Inklings. Using these words in an original way, will help the budding wordsmith recognize the plasticity of language and delight in its beauty.
4. Intro to Composition Vol. 3
This volume introduces the student to the literary essay form. Includes 5 lessons to be completed over ten weeks time, designed to mentor the student in the art of writing a literary essay.
5. Research: Elemental Journal Bundle
This discovery journal will guide students on a wonderful voyage through the mysteries of the periodic table. Over the course of a year students will research and catalog their findings of 42 of the 144 known elements. Elemental Journal is an interesting and broad introduction into the fascinating realm of chemistry.
Schedule / Pacing
Daily: Your students will be paced through varied activities of reading, note-taking, journaling, research, and writing.
- Each week students will complete one section of reading and journaling, completing a book in four weeks. Every fifth week, students create a culminating project connected to the unit.
- Students will engage vocabulary development 3 times a week (Operation Lexicon).
- Daily constructive grammar and style (One True Sentence)
- An introduction to essay writing and poetry
- Engage in research writing paces over time (Research Science).
- Level 3 Literature: students will read six chapter books across a range of genres, journal through each story, developing close reading note-taking skills along the way. They will acquire vocabulary and practice its application. They will compose hundreds of sentences as they reflect on the plot of great stories. And they will compose 24 expanded paragraphs across many writing domains—introspective, expository, observational, persuasive, and more.
- Introduction to Composition: The Essay: introduces the student to essay form and stylistic techniques. Volume 3 includes 5 lessons to be completed over ten weeks time, designed to mentor the student in the art of essay writing a descriptive essay.
- Research Science: students will research and journal details of the five kingdoms.
- One True Sentence and Operation Lexicon: provide activities and practice to build vocabulary and strengthen grammar usage and writing style.
A word about grade levels and learning styles
All of Blackbird and Company curricular materials are designed with the student and teacher in mind. Whether you are in a traditional classroom or a homeschool, if you are in independent study or if you need accommodations for unique learning styles or special needs, our materials are adaptable to individual needs, to your teaching style, and to your student’s learning style.
Note: Your items may differ slightly from the images shown.
Please contact us if you need individual guides for additional students.